Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Geeking With The Garmin

This will shock to none of you but I'm something of a geek, mmhmm. ::serious look::

The snow was falling pretty well when I got home from work so I decided to shovel the driveway instead of listen to the news folk tell me how I was going to DIE from from the storm!

I thought it might be fun to strap on the heart monitor and see what the Garmin made of my efforts. The metrics (above) were interesting since I had new columns like 'Distance' and 'Calories' - I can not vouch for the accuracy of either given the limited space (driveway/sidewalks) I was working in. It took me about 45 minutes to do the job.

As you can see from Google Earth (a function you can get with MotionBased which comes free with the Garmin Edge or Forerunner - sorta limited but enough for my means. What I mean is if you join the pay-for stuff you get more functionality) you probably don't want to call in precision air strikes with the Garmin but that is my house and driveway however I honestly don't remember shoveling the lawn or the roof.
I did the sidewalks last and the short strokes as opposed to the long languid ones of the driveway proper seemed to elevate my HR some. The most noticeable thing though is my lower back is SORE :-)
See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment