Thursday, January 29, 2009

DEATH STORM 2009!!! - When will it end? - Day Three

I woke up to zero accumulation, cold outside and somewhat icy streets. I had overslept, probably due to the email I got from my trainer telling me I had been at this madness for a solid month. I partied my butt off reading a book and going to bed at 10:30pm!

The drive in wasn't nearly as exciting as yesterday and I'm figuring that the schools will opt for a two hour delay. Today is intervals on the treadmill which I'm still struggling with for balance etc. I also woke up stupid apparently.

I start my routine and am adjusting the treadmill and whatnot. Marathon Man is in there covered in sweat on the elliptical pounding it out alongside AT Everest. I'm late and lets be clear about something. I am a creature of routine, almost autistically so, when there are variations I get cranky. Weird I know but there it is.

So I get the machine working but I'm getting dumber by the minute. If you glance at the heart chart at about minute five you'll see where I commit my first act of stupidity and call my wife waking her up and letting her know the schools were on a two hour delay.

This destroys my settings and heart rate, not to mention HER restful slumber. The workout is RUINED! I plug in 35 minutes again and get back on it. When the machine kicks into the work zone for me (currently a wimpy 3.8mph at 5% incline) I can see the little bar that you can cling to for heart rate just pulling away. I end up increasing my stride and pulling back up to it but my rhythm is off and I get wobbly and end up having to grab the side bars. I'm beyond annoyed, why am I such a lout? Others do this, others can walk just fine. DARNIT! It would be understandable, my difficulties, if I had vodka in the water bottle, but its water, honest.

I do better during the rest phase of the interval workout but my brow is now officially furrowed! I really want to figure this out so I can get the most out of this workout (it's a similar feeling I have with the DB lunges). What is up with that machine that makes me feel mildly off balance?

With about ten minutes to go I risk glancing up at the TV. The city schools have just closed. Uh oh. Then comes the inevitable cascade effect and all the suburban schools follow suit in some weird no child shall be left behind thing. Ours succumbs to peer pressure and closes too. I want to grab the treadmill and heave it across the room but I'd pull a hammy.

Calm blue sea, calm blue sea. I knew my wife's Lamaze class would come in handy but it's not working. Anyone got a Valium? Wanna share? :-)

I wrap up the routine cutting short the cool down. I see Marathon Man has survived whatever ordeal he's put himself through and is staggering around in some anaerobic daze. I'm envious of the endorphins he's about to wallow in.

I commit my second act of idiocy calling my wife and informing her that the schools have just closed. She was asleep deciding that since they were on a two hour delay last she heard she could sleep in. So I'm feeling like a heel but we have to adjust schedules and meetings. We manage to work somethings out. After 11AM (a meeting I can NOT miss) I'll be at home, then back for a 3PM then home again.

Already it's going downhill as further acts of foolishness follow. I leave my towel in the locker wondering around like the distracted dork I am in the buff until I get out of the shower and make this startling discovery. I spend a minute our so in a blind panic because I can't find my glasses which would be a real problem.

GROAN. For me it's just gonna be one of those days!

But it doesn't have to be for you! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment