Monday, August 31, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Sucky

Staring at the lock I do my best to quell my autistic rage. This was bad on a day already filled with bad omens. I have serious concerns about about the upcoming week, maybe I should just cower in my room until this storm passes, go to ground. Get drunk, stay drunk and rant into this blog about the unfairness of it all until some indication that things were looking up happened, like winning the lottery maybe. I already had to turn back halfway to the gym when I realized my badge was next to 'the big chair' in the family room. At the time of the morning when I tend to work out it's insane to rely on the kindness of strangers, you're just asking for a beating.

I continue staring at the bright, shiny, new brass lock that was on my locker. And let's face facts, for one year it is my locker. I paid for it and it has a nice big Operation Feed sign on it proclaiming that it has been paid for. I decide it's too much bother to go home, get the reciprocating saw and cut the stupid lock off but I'm thrown completely off my game and I haven't even started. Someone's smelly socks were in my locker, defiling it. I'll have to sanitize it with copious amounts of Lysol once I gain access.

Whatev.

I set up in the locker next to it.

Today is the first day of Bubbles new routine for me and I'm already apprehensive about it, some serious cardio today followed by a new horrid ABS routine.

I set up on the upright bike, idly pedaling along warming up trying to figure out how to approach this problem:

1 min work followed by 2 min rest X 10

I'm paraphrasing because I left the workout sheet in the trunk of my car - sigh (I once again consider a serious binge).

Work as defined by Bubbles is getting my HR up to the 70% (over 142bpm) range for a minute followed by two minutes of rest at 55-60% (112-122bpm) before doing it again for ten times. I had researched the numbers the night before and could only remember the work interval number but so what?

I had set the bike for level five or so and forty minutes and was just sort of waiting for, heck, I don't know, something to happen. Some signal. Eventually I just push the lap button on the Garmin out of boredom and hammer the pedals jacking the cadence up into the 120 range while bringing the level up to 14. I do that for a minute and then bring the cadence down into the seventy range while dialing back the level to four and try and recover.

By the seventh one I'm sucking serious wind and trying to count how many work intervals I've done and generally figuring it out. I need some sort of chalkboard or counter - something. Mentally it went like this, "OK I'm on minute twenty, first interval was at zero to minute one followed by two minutes of rest so minute three-four was the next work interval (TWO), followed by ... DAMMIT! (restarts the count)" and I only had two minutes to figure out what interval I was on before starting the next work interval.

By the tenth one I felt pukey. I sit for a few additional minutes on the bike in cool down and then get off it and walk around for a bit trying to settle down. The chart looks like this:

I finally man up for ABS and start to work on those. The BOSU work was awful, I can't remember how to do it and the BOSU bicycles were not done in the correct form.

UGH!

When I talked to Bubbles about the stupid Russian Twists later she asked, "Did you remember the six pound medicine ball? It'll help with your balance."

No Bill didn't remember about the six pound medicine ball. DRAT

The ABS course kicked my rear. Tomorrow I do the Tuesday routine so I'll have to brush up on that tonight.

What I'm loving (soon to be hating) about this routine Bubbles has laid out for me is that every day is different. Yeah MWF is cardio but they're different cardios and so kinda sucky in the sense that I'll be dreading them a bit more than I once was. And Tuesday is completely different from Thursday so I don't know yet how to whine about them.

The scales inform me that I lost two pounds so I'm now sitting at 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment