Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Slow Time at a Fast Cadence

I didn't ride in today pretty much insuring the prettiest day ever. You can thank me later. There was all this gab about 40% chance of thunderstorms and I just didn't want to deal with it. I managed to ride my bike in six consecutive workdays which I'm pretty happy about, but it better rain today :-)

TomS and I are growing impatient with waiting for his new bike. We've gone on a hunger strike to make sure Trek knows we're serious about this bike thing. Mine ended at 7:30am with two eggs, two bacons, some coffee and tea to take the edge off the coffee. I'm pretty sure Trek got the message! Hopefully TomS will get his bike today!!! I've suffered enough in his cause.

I had trouble sleeping last night, not sure why, probably the worry over TomS's bike. I should be a real joy today so you might want to keep your distance. Anyhoo I was up at 4am and in the gym by 5am, I became concerned when I saw one of the ghostPeople wiping down a bike while The Women in Trouble! network blared out of a TV. Sheesh, you know you're early if Kingsley isn't in and the ghostPeople are still working. I was so exhausted last night, what gives? Whatever.

So I switch the channel hoping those poor women manage to break their date with darkness or whatever problems they're going through, turn down the volume, hop on an upright and go at it. I decide to do 35 minutes of work with a five minute warm up on the front, and a five minute cool down on the back.

Real biking is better or at least less boring but there is benefit from these cardio machines. For example when I'm riding my bike you get a fair amount of coasting in which helps for distance. The machine is relentless. I'm going around an eight, varying it from a seven to a nine when needed and trying to keep my cadence near 90. Those thirty five minutes were tough but I think it will help on the real bike. My HR average was 154 (76% MaxHR) for the work interval.

With about fifteen minutes left and me swimming in despair, IronMan enters with a clipboard and shoves it in front of me. I stare at it blearily trying to make the letters form into words. He's concerned that if something happens to me (he must have read yesterday's post) that the cottage will fall into disrepair so it's for the best if I just sign it over to him now.

Makes sense.

I ask for the date and scrawl out a signature on the form. He reads it as he walks away. It reads, "Bite Me - 18 Aug 09."

He glances back at me, "Mistimed it, huh?"

mmhmm

Ten more minutes and he might of had some real estate.

I get off the bike and stagger/stretch around the gym. awesomeGirl has mysteriously shown up but today she's grumpyGirl, I minimize my contact, I've had enough brushes with death of late. IronMan and goodMood are helping torture themselves and I'm doing ABS like a good boy.

Now, I'm outie - have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment