Monday, August 3, 2009

Bitter

There are times when I fantasize (yes it's true, Bill has a fantasy world) about my epic struggle with myself. This blog is a poor reflection of that. In my fantasy world I'm always at the end of it, reminiscing about how hard it was shedding those pounds, getting to where I wanted to be, how happy, no that's not the word, how smug I am about weighing 185 pounds and being in shape.

However living it, getting there is hard, in fact when I hit a setback it sincerely sucks.

This weekend I burned a huge number of calories for me. I didn't even log some of it but I also ate a huge number of calories. Still, when I stepped on the scale this morning I expected to be in the 200-201 range.

I weighed in at 204, gaining a pound.

I'm bitter, bitter Bill.

What has surprised me most about exercise is the contemplation, the introspection that comes with it and the resulting clarity. I have an image, a clear mental image of where I want to be (and not just physically) but I want it handed to me ("Here take this pill and you have it all").

Having it handed to me is what makes me bitter. I don't like that about myself.

Exercising towards a goal is ruthless, the only lying going on is to yourself - you want it? Work for it. When I achieve my goal(s) I know it will only come from a discipline I currently lack, and if I'm the slightest bit smug about it you have permission to slap me, repeatedly.

Perhaps this isn't an exercise in futility but an exercise in humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment