Monday, August 17, 2009

The Hated Horn

I very nearly died or got seriously hurt Friday. THAT was a great cardio workout let me tell ya! I'm pedaling up a hill that leads out of the parking lot at work, there's a traffic light at the intersection of the parking lot since the road is heavily traveled. The light is red and it's the start of rush hour(s), around 4:30pm.

I'm heading up the hill going, I don't know, call it 8-10mph and setting up to make a hard right hand turn onto the bike path. My bike is 'mushy', the panniers stuffed with all the crap Bill needs to be functional at work. My hands are on the top bars and I'm feeling fine. I managed to ride the bike into work every day that week and felt pretty good about that.

I'm entirely too casual on the bike for the turn I'm about to make.

I start the turn, realize I don't have a prayer of making it, probably due to the weight of the bike and am staring at a very unfriendly curb, its hard right angle pretty much guaranteeing I'll get thrown off the bike if I hit it. I'm scanning the curb looking for any options of getting over it and finding none. My hands have an all too appropriate death grip on the top tube and the brakes are so far away I might as well not have them.

With growing dread I realize I'm headed out into traffic, unannounced. As I swing out there I keep my head down, listening for the squeal of brakes, the hated horn. I really don't want to see the car that hits me, the fear and horror on the driver's face. I'm sad, I feel really bad this happened and it's all my fault. I'm about midway out into the first lane when the bike pretty much stalls and it's still quiet. I begin to hope I'm going to get out of this jam as I hop off the saddle and begin frantically duck walking to the curb while straddling the bike. I feel like Tim Conway in that old man routine he did on the Carol Burnett show, I'm going so slow.

As I pull parallel to the curb the first car whizzes past in my lane. I still have my head down mortified by my rudeness and stupidity. I get the front tire over the curb and heave the rear, pannier laden tire over the curb before getting on the bike path and heading home jonesing for a shot of whiskey.

How was your Friday commute?

What I took away from that experience is
  • I'm an ass
  • Never be casual on a bike, treat it with respect
  • ALWAYS have your hands on the hoods when attempting a turn so you at least have the option of braking
Can you spot on this HR chart where Bill went out frolicking in traffic?
We went down to see my parents this weekend. It was a very pleasant, exercise free weekend. Dietarily speaking, what happens at the parents, STAYS at the parents. They're getting along just fine.

Sunday was a bit busy. I just had to clean my bike, particularly the chain. So I hooked up this chain cleaner I got from Amazon and went at it, cleaning the whole bike. After Friday I figured the old girl needed a little TLC.

Dirty bike!
Clean bike!
Clean bike
Then my wife and I walked to the pool and did some swimming which was pleasant. My son showed up and we clowned around in the pool a bit. My daughter was with her friends and I saw her walk by but knew enough not to speak to her, it would mortify her!

Last night I checked the weather and it looks like today is the only good time to ride the bike in, some cold front is moving in and I needed to get back on the horse anyway. It was a good ride in, my bike all clean and new and quiet. That's one thing about riding in at 4:18am, it's quiet.

The gym was also quiet this morning, just me, Kingsley and AT Everest. I hammered through the total body, did a fat burn on the treadmill and then some stretching. PonyTail, goodMood and others were showing up about when I was done. I weighed in figuring that at best I held even, I lost a pound :-)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment