Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rest?! What's up with THAT?!!!

So I slept in today rising, sloth-like from my comfortable bed at 6am. I can tell from my shuffling gate that I've put on six pounds from this hibernation. Already I'm alarmed by the upcoming NC field trip which commences at 4PM today.

It had to be done however, if we're going to survive the drive down there I need a careful balance of rest and coffee but not too much coffee that we have to stop every ten miles to pee. It's an art.

Bubbles, trying to help I suspect, sent the following article: No Pain = BIG Gain to a bunch of folk. I felt another pound of blubber drop into place while I read it.

This made me smile:

Some people take the “all-or-none” approach, going from a sedentary lifestyle to exercising for 45 minutes or more, 5-6 days per week. At this rate, exercise doesn’t make you feel good like everyone says it will. You’re tired, your knees hurt, and your muscles are sore. After a week or two, it’s easy to get frustrated and want to give up. Instead, increase your workouts gradually and allow adequate recovery time to reduce these symptoms.

Other than the hurt knees, gradually and resting this is precisely what I've done. Now I'm hooked, just another endorphin junkie looking to repeatedly lift something or run down some godforsaken deer (on foot, not by car, where's the sport in that?) for my next fix.

And...

I love it. I truly do. It's a common privileged to be able to do this sort of stuff. To get all sweaty and feel that burn in your thighs and lift that weight, to paradoxically hate and love it. To improve yourself physically (I know some who can't and that helps tons in keeping me going). The biggest rush for me is when you get to a level that you couldn't previously do. You'll notice in some previous posts that I'm nearing being able to hold a bike (a real one, on the road) at/near 20mph. It burns in the thighs, and I can't do it long (there are other skills involved like curves in the road/path) but if I can keep on it I think I can, said the little engine named Bill.

That rush of noting the difference is the best and something you quickly get hooked on.

So I'm off to NC for four days of mostly rest, though there is the IronMan factor, who'll turn painting into a cardio routine. But it's most likely my fate to return a total 'lard ass' (my bike name) weighing in back at my starting 237lbs.

So what. Starting over is easy, finishing is hard.

See ya on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment