Friday, October 15, 2010

pod, gang and I'm in bleed mode

I feel like I'm morphin... even if I'm not I'm definitely listening to Recovery too much. I sit in my pod, headphones on watching evolution at play like a silent movie. Altering interactions, changing work habits, new relationships, endless new pod designs, change. Change? This place has culturally been staid but now areas of it are getting rowdy and I'm part of it. I like that for some reason, normally I'm in the second wave. Now I'm storming the beaches of 'something new' after the 'test pod' established a toe-hold.

Originally there were worries about too much noise and visual distraction. Now some original pod walls (or "partitions" in our vernacular) are actually being reduced to increase communication between pods. All of this is happening by the poddies, they're just doing it. Transforming their work space into their workspace.

So the visionaries were right about that occurring, now all we have to do is prove the second part, the important part.

Increased productivity.

I think the visionaries are going to be insufferably smug, I'll deal with their smugness later. Increased productivity? Yep, that's gonna happen.

Naturally there are haters, convinced pods are stupid, wont work, preferring a coffin cubical existence, while others show signs of being "pod curious." I don't know what will happen with them, I have a team to work with now. Actually I have TWO, honestly, how cool is that?

We're not even a week in on this. I can't speak for all (every time I try speaking for everybody they shove a binkie in my mouth or show me something shiny) but the most common response I got when I asked a poddie how their pod was going was, "It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be" with a surprised look on their face. That was two or three days in; I'll ask again in a few weeks. Some of those were convinced it would not work for them. Speaking for myself, at this moment in time, it's in my blood now. Pod boy, poddie, believer, psycho nut-job, however you want to define me as long as it equates to "all in." I bought the ticket, I'll take the ride.

I leap on top of a partition wall to get a better view of the city, glaring over the first wave of pods beached like troop transports at Normandy...

pod, gang and I'm in bleed mode

No comments:

Post a Comment