Monday, February 16, 2009

Note from the Void

Awash in endorphins the previous twenty-four hours of 'cold turkey' are already receding like fog on a sunlit morn...

Oh jeeze. Did I just write that? Maybe that workout outage effected me more than I thought.

The gym was packed for that time of the morning. Has the sun crossed the vernal equinox? What gives? It's pretty cool though, as long as no one is on MY machines when I need them, all shall be well.

AlexTrebek is on my elliptical! He is ensconced on my elliptical, thumbing through some magazine while pounding out a pace. Mentally I go full Rain Man before carefully dialing it down to the point where I know for a certainty it would be a bad idea for me to ask him if I could borrow it for seven minutes. Particularly since there's a perfectly fine one next to AT Everest... but it's not mine.

I hop on to somebody else's elliptical and notice that my HR pretty much just bullets right up there. Weird. I have had that happen a few times but I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, personally I don't like it. I like having to coax my HR up - come on baby! - it feels 'stronger' to me. This feels 'thready' - once it's up there and reasonably steady all is well.

I get through the workout OK. I've got an ace 'compression' type bandage on my knee. I asked the trainer about it and he's of the opinion its more of a psychological benefit then providing any real stability. I don't know if it helped or not - my knee didn't bug me at all during the workout but now that I'm sitting here typing this its feeling distantly sore.

The trainer and I were of pretty much the same mindset about avoiding the stair climber for a bit. He's right, you develop this kind of love/hate thing with the machine (mine's mostly hate which is why the stair climber didn't get a Valentine's from me!) but I want to get on it again. There's something oddly addicting about how that machine sucks your soul dry and crushes your will to live - but then TIMES UP - you did your time and you licked that machine! I'm also shying away from the treadmill at the moment.

So my aerobic intervals were, somebody elses elliptical, upright bike and recombinant bike and my HR was impressive (for me) on all three. I noticed on the recombinant that my knee got a little hurty-like (might be because it was last), not on the other two machines.

I get back to my office and have an email! It's from the legend, a man swathed in mystery who only goes by the acronym 'TomS,' frequently mistaken for 'Tums' TomS has set up a secret laboratory in his basement where he practices his dark experiments in exercise. No one knows what goes on down there. Neighbors report "whiny animal grunts and pathetic whimpers and moans" emanating from the place. Once PETA sent in a team, no one returned.

What could this pantheon in secrecy want with me? I nervously read the missive...

OK Bill,

Here is a perfect song for your work-out collection or any other collection for that matter...Zip City by Drive-By Truckers.

I love the lyrics and best of all, WE CAN PLAY THIS THING!

This just screams for YOUR Tele.

Let me know what you think.

Hmmmm, I see his latest research has driven him mad. The only thing I can play, off key, is a kazoo. Still, maybe my NEW Tele when I get it, if I get it :-) I'm intrigued and there's probably hidden meaning in the lyrics.
I ain't got no good intentions
A double negative... is TomS telling me he has plans for me in his lab, or not??? What's it mean?! I must ponder this.

No comments:

Post a Comment