Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ugly Truths - The Body Assessment

I get to spend an hour with the trainer; she takes various measurements and has me perform various feats and daring dos. At the end she presents me with the facts of where I'm at, it's not pretty.

Age: 51 - Height: 6ft - Weight: 237lbs
Resting Heart Rate: 84 - Maximum Heart Rate: 203.43

Now the fun begins:

Body Composition: 29.16% this means that about 30% of my body is fat. GROAN. This is one of the metrics I'll be attempting to reduce.

Treadmill Test (Vo2Max) - Time: 18.22 - Heart Rate: 148
Vo2Max: 18.52152

This is an awful number (18.52152)! "Well below average" - this is a number I need to increase, significantly.

Push Ups: 4 - GROAN when I wrestled I could pop off fifty of these no sweat. I need to get this number to at least 10 in three months.

Curl Ups: 8 Another GROAN. This needs to be at least 16 by three months.

Flexability: 0 - sigh I need to get this to 13 in three months.

Waist to hip ratio: 1.022472 - PORKER. I need to get this to .95 or below. I'm currently referred to as 'apple shaped' which hurts my feelings a little bit. Apple shaped? Surely there's a better image... Michelin Man?

Now there's a bit of controversy about my 'Age Predicted Maximal Heart Rate.' All the calculations I've done put it at 171, her little calculator puts it at 203.43, a delta of 32 which I consider rather significant.

Hmmmmmm. I'll most likely ask my doc to set up some test and get to the bottom of it because this maximal heart rate business determines all the zones I'm suppose to exercise under.

The trainer wants me exercising in the 144-156bmp range which has me in zone four (the dreaded anaerobic) off of one chart and moderate to weight control off of another. Who to believe?

Right now I'll go with the trainer until I can get a better handle on my actual maximum heart rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment