Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When Push Comes to Shove

I feel time crunched and don't like it. I seem to have set off a bit of a firestorm with my critic of the seven deadly foods prompting noNeed (I think, I loved the way it was phrased) to comment,

I haven't had a donut since 2003. They're totally not worth it! noneed

What I find telling about the comment is the date, like a reformed alcoholic, "It's been six years since my last drink..." It made me smile and wonder at the same time if she missed them still. I miss things too like cocaine, er binge drinking, er stuff! OK There's stuff you're gonna miss for a variety of reasons but when push comes to shove you know in your heart and soul you're better for it and wished you hadn't gone down that path in the first place. I don't miss the 'stuff' anymore (as much, there ARE days if I'm honest about it) - I'm too darned busy for it. But doughnuts and cheeseburgers? That's asking too much of Bill.

That's exercises' greatest trap and couch potatoes recognize it on a cellular level. Like having a kid, your lifestyle will change dramatically. You have more energy and you don't want to sit on the couch. Not as much anyway, unless you're tired from doing something you didn't use to do before, like weeding, or annoying your kids with your new found interest. Heck a few weeks on the bike and TomS is already over at a friend's house staining their fence. He balked at mowing my lawn so I figure he needs more time on the bike!

Where was I? I'm over-amped on coffee now and finding it hard to focus on my point. Do I have one?

It's this, exercise will change your life for the better. But go ahead and eat doughnuts if you want to it just means you have to exercise more, shrug.

Glad I got past that latest insight.

So this weekend was a bit of a CHALLENGE for yours truly. My daughter had oh seven or so eleven year olds over for a party she was hosting. She asked each one of them to bring desert and Friday evening I was circling the following pic like a great white with blood in the water:

Oh my! Whatever shall I do?

Eventually the preteen cabal met and found me 'uncool' so I was sent to the backyard where I started a fire, drank my two fingers of single malt and hung out with a six year old Japanese girl who thought I was cool, well she thought the fire was cool anyway, she tolerated me. But needless to say there were a lot of treats left at the end of the party.

Did I partake? Let's just say that I was a little nervous at today's weigh in, but clocked in at 201, four pounds below suicidal and false remorse.

I did 17.5 miles on that Saturday. No great shakes distance wise but I did it without stopping, my average speed 14.8 mph and cadence of 66. My lower back, butt and legs definitely noticed it. I'm gonna have to do more of that, but it's the end of the season.

sigh

And that was as far as I got on Monday before a big wave of work rolled over me.

So I have goals I'm fairly convinced I'm gonna miss this year. That's OK (sorta) but the one I really wanted to make was the ride to Prospect lugging my camera along. I'm told that once I accomplish that Bill becomes a real bicyclist plus it has a cool western name. I hear they have an Amish roadside bakery thing that intoIt wont pass up and with a name like Prospect it just has to have an Amish brothel and Amish gunfights! I bet the roadside bakery is a front for it! I just need to figure out the code for my uh demanding readership who um force me into such situations.

Anyway as I climbed into my car this Tuesday morning from the gym at ten to seven I noticed that it was still dark and I could feel the Prospect run start to slide away.

Time will tell, which I'm out of - IronMan is also mucking around with his schedule and was out the door when I came in this morning. I want to post something today so I have to go.

Have a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment