Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

First the most important thing of all. Happy Birthday to my sweet wife, may all your birthday wishes come true!!!

I did 40 minutes on the spinner, some crunches and now I'm eating an apple chaser after polishing off my morning raisin bran.



I see the Indiana house democrats have joined their Wisconsin brethren, hopping on the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride bandwagon and charging merrily off to nowhere in particular. In OH the Dispatch informs me that "progress" is being made, meaning some republicans will probably cave in typical RINO fashion.

And there sit the deficits, they don't care, growing ever larger. Don't want to mess with unions? OK where do you want to cut? One of the real problems are the state pensions. Are those fair game?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, major public pension plans paid out $78.5 billion in the 12 months ended Sept. 30, 2000. By the comparable period in 2004, that had grown to $117.8 billion, a 50% climb in five years. Beyond hiking taxes and cutting costs, governments have few ways to meet this bill.

Most of those pension plans have been negotiated by the unions and maybe it's time to dial that back a bit. I use to be mystified by all these endless levies for schools with these dire threats of cutting after school activities and what not. The reason seems to be they have to pay these pensions and so have to cut band to make that happen because they can't mess with the pension. Do I have that right? Are we gonna do anything about that? I'm increasingly doubtful that we're a serious people with legislators running away and refusing to do their jobs and everyone avoiding eye contact with the overweight deficit in the room.

Well it's my wife's bday and I hope to show her a nice time!

No comments:

Post a Comment