Thursday, February 17, 2011

Evil According to Bieber

So Borders has filed for Chapter 11 as have my knees and lower back. This smug seventeen year old Canadian Bieber idiot is lecturing me about how 'evil' the US health care system is prompting me to mutter, "Shut up and sing you wussy voiced soon to be has been" - while I idly fantasize about him suddenly dealing with a burst appendix on tour, hopping on his Lear and jetting up to Canada to get in line. I mean honestly can you be more stupid? It's a lot like going up to the folk in Arbys and telling them how evil they are and how much they suck compared to Tim Hortons before demanding a roast beef sandwich and expecting them not to get depraved with it before handing it to him to eat. Some other dude is on the radio telling me how completely out of control government spending is and I don't care where you fall on the political line, left, right, up, down... whatever, you can NOT spend your way out of debt.

Why isn't any of this in Revelations? Well I guess one could make the argument that Bieber is the Whore of Babylon but all the rest of this madness is simply not there.

So, how's your day? ::open, innocent smile::

I'm dragging my bankrupt knees and lower back around the gym watching Bubbles torment D-TOSRV on a BOSU ball before dragging him over to a mirror, handing him two dumbbells and ordering him to do curls while holding one leg out in front. I'm waiting for her to tell him to hop but maybe that comes later. You have to hand it to Bubbles, she's inventive in that dark, evil US health care sort of way.

While sitting on a stability ball half listening to D-TOSRV spew a litany of previous sports injuries to Bubbles as some sort of justification as to why he's struggling with her latest abomination, I tune him out, the dude is some mutant of physical health and doesn't need to 'splain anything. I'm watching ponyTail gleefully rub my nose in the fact that she can jump-rope while I look a lot like an epileptic, spasmodic monkey whenever I attempt it. I do a few more crunches until my lower back reminds me of the whole chapter eleven thing and continue shooting the breeze with ponyTail. She's telling me I must practice the jump rope if I want to master it.

mmhmm but what about Borders? I am wondering how they will cope. I love book stores and meandering through them, picking up books, drinking overpriced coffee and trying hard not to feel too smug about it all but ever since I got my Kindle I haven't exactly been chomping at the bit buying them. In fact the last book I purchased, Keith Richards Life, I actually got two copies, the hardback for laying out in the man den to impress... uh... my son I guess (?) since not many folk actually come over anymore... I need to rethink this... and the other copy is on my Kindle for actual reading. Why would I lug around a boat anchor of a book like Life when I can read it off the Kindle along with several other books that can fit my mood of the moment like America Alone?

Here's the rub though. I spent a few hours on Amazon last night trying to find something that would fit my mood before settling on a mystery about the vicious snuff industry growing in Bangkok (hopefully not an indicator of where my head's at... who am I kidding?! That's exactly where my head is at - sigh). I confess to an unhealthy interest in Detective Jitpleecheep, I mean with a name like that what's not to love and I truly enjoyed his work in previous books. But the experience is SO NOT THE SAME as browsing around a bookstore looking to be titillated.

I doubt Borders will be able to find viability in me stumbling around their stores, smugly sipping over priced coffee, finding a book and then pulling it down on my Kindle. That's a lot of floor space and clerks for that sort no return on investment. Perfect for a bailout I guess (please NO!). Maybe my local library can substitute for Borders? Not my problem but it is Barnes and Noble's and Borders. I wish them well.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
- Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment