Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Slow Time

I'm nervous about Friday having shot my big fat mouth off on Tuesday. I had casually asked goodMood if he was feeling up to doing an Around the World with me on Friday.

"What's that?"

20 minute Bubbles routine on the stairclimber, 20 minute intervals (one hard, two rest) on the spinner, 20 minutes on the elliptical. I'm thinking of throwing in 15 minutes of cool down on the treadmill but that might depend on time.

Always a big help ponyTail tosses out there, "What about the rower and that new arm spinny thing they got?" It's a constant relief to me knowing she has my back.

So OK maybe its more Across the USA than Around the World but I'm excluding the rower and the spinny thing for the moment.

goodMood's gonna do it and starts muttering about adjusting arrival times for Friday. ponyTail mentions with a HUGE smile that sadly she has the kids on Friday and so cannot partake.

mmhmm

I had a rough night last night making the discovery that I'm a mouth breather, waking up at 2am in the arid air with God's gift to cotton mouths and an incredible sore throat. I grab the water bottle, take a swig and can barely swallow it. The sore throat appears to be due to the dry air but um no fun.

We (my son and I) had an interesting introduction to the great outdoors over the weekend. In July we're going to Philmont, a Boy Scout high adventure area where you stomp all over New Mexico for ten days with just a backpack. This isn't the typical 'camp from the car' type of endeavor. So we started purchasing equipment, like boots and sleeping bags and other things but the boots and bags were the big ticket items.

deerHunter has been kind enough to lend us some backpacks (the third of the wallet busters) and I'm grateful for that. I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna take him up on his offer because I would feel awful if they got damaged. We'll see.

One thing I noticed going through all the crap we bought was the marketing angle of how 'green' every product is. Speaking for myself I'm far more interested in how well engineered this stuff is. My boots are made from coconuts (a unique cocona technology which uses the fibers of coconuts inside the boot's fabrics for pore structure to be the best (and most natural) moisture-absorbent shoe out there). I'm all about moisture absorbency coupled with the boot's eVENT lining system allowing my feet to breathe and probably setting up interesting weather patterns in the boot when combined with the cocona technology.

See? It all gets weird when one finds them self suddenly 'in it.' They're boots, bikes, guitars until you begin babbling about this technical stuff. I just don't want feet problems when dragging my stinky butt over New Mexico with two shirts and no prayer of a shower for ten days.

2 comments:

  1. if the packs get damaged, oh well... it happens. I'm not overly concerned about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go ahead and write the blog post now and fill in the pictures later... "Here I am frozen in fear at the top of the pole climb... And here I am just frozen at the top of Mt. Baldy... And here I am dragging this $@%$ donkey through a race... and here I am on the Tooth of Time day 10 smelling like a ^&%^&%."

    ReplyDelete