Monday, August 9, 2010

Addict, Burnout, Bitterness

I'm pondering a mess-o-stuff at the moment trying to figure out my next moves as I stumble on this whole exercise thing.

I have an addictive personality plain and simple. So I came roaring out of the gates on this exercise in futility and now I'm just plain tired and bored. It's tough (for me anyway) to keep up the interest in going into the gym, working out and seeing no measurable results what-so-ever for the last month or so. Just fatigue, soreness and despair.

Despair? As I babble this into the blog it sounds both right and wrong. From what I've read (which is increasingly little) I'm on a 'plateau' and I can't seem to find the right alchemy to break through that.

I took the bike out yesterday for the first time since my sixty miler. I pressed myself a bit and got my overall average up ti 15.5mph for 17.5 miles on the bike. It was OK but in casual conversation others are doing better.

I don't think I'll be doing a 'event' type of century this year, I'm in a far more self destructive mood and am considering taking the bike out fifty miles and having to return to get the century in. TomS tells me I have to let go of this century thing but I don't wanna.

I have this mental image of me coming back from the century looking a lot like Keith Richards rasping, "Weigh me, WEIGH ME!" I wonder if I can do it...

On a far cooler note, bikerBabe has crossed 3,000 miles on her bike this year. She eats centuries like a fistful of granola. Way to go bikerBabe!

No comments:

Post a Comment