Friday, April 23, 2010

Hangin' Around

Layla and I are hanging out at the street corner, both of us kinda wondering how we got there. I'm in gym shorts, a baggy T and my Tilley having just finished mowing the lawn and eating dinner. Layla is snuffling about in that endless way of hers, "Everything smells so interesting!" ignoring my musical a cappella.

I been hangin' around this town on the corner
I been bummin' around this old town so long
I been hangin' around this town on the corner
I been bummin' around this old town for way too long
(everybody trip)

Right about the time Layla and I were gonna trip I see a red Fuji cyclocross rolling by. I'm pretty sure it's goFast but not positive. All bicyclists look pretty much the same in some chiseled cheekbone helmet wearing way. He suddenly slows and turns toward us probably recognizing the hat and the billowing T-shirt.

Yep, goFast.

goFast unclips, resting one foot on the ground looking all manly and sweaty. In short he looks yummy but not in a gay way (hurried Seinfeld voice, "not that there's anything wrong with that!") but from my perspective in an envious biking way.

I so much want to be on my bike worried about getting nailed by some irate driver, not unclipping in time and falling over in front of some crowd like the total dork I am, hating the headwind, feeling that creeping burn in the thighs, the first indication of sweat as my body warms to the task, the cottonmouth as you realize you're actually getting low on water, the turning of the pedals, what's my speed? what's my heart rate? the quiet, the rising sense of accomplishment as you near home knowing you're gonna make it, knowing you did it!

sigh

Yep I'm standing there holding indifferent Layla's leash feeling pretty envious of goFast on his bike. He went a different route having a third kid instead of a dog, she's what now five? Six? I bet she's potty trained unlike others as I mentally glare at Layla. We shoot the breeze for a bit before he heads off for home.

Layla and I head off on a new adventure into uncharted territories. Layla wants to play with everyone in sight, particularly dogs but is still too puppy to realize that everyone in sight might not want to play with her, particularly dogs. Silly rabbit. The objective was UDF but it was halfhearted and we didn't make it.

This morning around 5am I went out and dealt with Layla's whining by letting her out of the gosh darned cage. When she hears me in the bathroom the whining starts. Whatever, I'm resigned to my dog owning state of being. We just have to reach an accord on the bike riding thing, of course it's suppose to rain all weekend long so we get to worry about the I don't wanna go out and pee because it's raining thing instead. YAY!

I got to the gym around 6:40am and hammered out the usual 20min StairClimber atonement along with some minor lifting and stretching. It was good and I needed it since I was showing signs of Toxic Lack of Workout Buildup (TLWB is a killer!) so I hammered it pretty hard and feel a bit better at the moment, averaging a heart rate at 85% of max.

Finally, I have this buddy at work named Josh who's trying to kill me (in the spirit of Cato vs Clouseau). I managed to spare my worthless life in the bathroom today by spewing a pack of lies about it being "No Kill Friday" while simultaneously lacing his hand-wash soap with a major hallucinogen. I'm certain he's enjoying that at the moment. Anyway deciding not to waste his youth the way I did (yes he's smarter than me but who isn't?) he took a year off and went to China. I put the URL about his adventure on the sidebar but if you're as lazy as he is just click here. It looks like a pretty good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment