Friday, March 18, 2011

Dude... DIBS!

They say it's cold in hell. I tended to agree as I stood in line waiting for the opportunity to purchase an iPad 2 in the wee hours.

A buddy and I had decided, upon hearing that this store would be opening at 9AM since they were getting a shipment of iPads in. We talked about it figuring if we showed up around 7am we should have no problems.

I could NOT sleep that night due to my excitement. Finally I was going to get an iPad!!! Around 2AM I started waking up, at 3:30 I said screw it, got up showered/shaved blah blah blah, got a cup of joe and a lawn chair before heading to the Apple store. I got there about 4:30ish and as I was getting my chair out when this dude hopped out of his car next to me saying, "You here for the iPad thing? The security guy wont let you stand out there until 7am"

"Can I set up my chair?"

"Well there are two other ones out there so probably."

I sat in my chair (the third one from the left) trying not to shiver or think too much about the fact that I'd be here for 4.5 hours. About fifteen minutes into it a security guard pulls up and tells me to move on but he let me keep my chair there. I head back to the car and warm up.

Around 6:30am the security guard takes down the cones blocking access to the front of the store so I drove around and parked there. Shortly after that around 6:45am there were enough people to achieve critical mass and the security guard just gave up trying to shoo us away.

So I'm standing primarily because it gets too cold to when I sit hopping around getting a feel for the crowd. I'm fourth in line. In front of me is 1am followed by 3am and 4:15am. We all have high hopes and are feeling pretty good about our position. We start asking each other what we want the guys in front of me all want 32GB WiFi. I'm definitely leaning towards a 64GB WiFi. The folk behind me seem to want 16 or 32 GBs.

Around 7am the Apple folk start showing up. We're trying to get the skinny and getting blank stares in return until the manager shows up. I know he's the manager because he's speaking gibberish.

"How many iPads did you get in?"

"I don't know if we got any in but if we did we'll be opening the store at 9am"

This is met with a sudden change in mood from the crowd. We begin to darkly mutter, "We were told yesterday you were definitely getting a shipment in..." while we collectively wonder why we're standing here at this ungodly hour.

The manager blanches, putting a door between us and him. He's back to saying, "I don't know if we got any in but if we did we'll be opening the store at 9am"

"When are you opening the store?"

"9am"

"So you definitely have some..."

And he's gone, fleeing into the store.

This oriental dude shows up grinning ear to ear, standing just to my left behind me. I turn to him and start telling him the line is at the rear. There are probably 30-40 people there now. He begins babbling about being more than happy to buy my 'second' iPad from me (we were allowed two) and to pay cash for it.

It's about 7:30am. I'm tired. I'm cold. I glance down the line at all the folk behind me, paying their dues just like me and this clown wants to rob one of them of their chance at an iPad today? Where was he at 3:30 - 4AM? I tell him, "No." Still grinning he moves down the line working others.

My buddy shows up. I'd been telling my brethren about him so they wouldn't be pissed when he just started standing next to me. I'm not worried, if they don't want to let him get one I'll just buy two and he can pay me back - my line pals appear to grok this on a cellular level.

We're gabbing amongst ourselves when the store manager shows back up. He's relieved that he has any at all but he has only six. He turns to 1am and asks what he wants.

"A 32GB black WiFi"

The manager grins, makes some mark on a piece of paper and says, "Good because in 32GB that's ALL I have today. There are no more 32 GBs. What's left are 2 64GB WiFi blacks and three 16GB WiFis - I have no cellular ones in this shipment."

Next is 3:30am who opts for a 16GB black - followed by 4:15am who opts for a 64GB, then me and I take a 64GB while staring sadly at my buddy. He does NOT want a 16GB and so has nothing. I have no idea what happens to the two remaining 16GBs.

The rest of the crowd disperses except for those of us 'winners' (that's what it felt like). We're gabbing amongst ourselves and I'm telling some folk what I've learned from other iPad owners which is you do not want to 16GB because you'll run out of space.

That's when 3:30am hit's me with his treachery, "You're gonna hate me but I've been listening and I've decided I want the 64GB one."

I'm filling a mixture of panic, bitterness and anger. Grinning back at him I say, "Dude... dibs!"

He looks at me and says, "I'm sorry."

My buddy is quietly telling me to talk to the manager which I was fully intending to do. When he shows back up letting us in because it's cold I'm on him like white on rice. I tell him of 3:30's backstabbing ways and then step back awaiting his ruling. He turns to 3:30 and says, "I'm sorry but I've already given it to this gentleman."

PHEW!

I'm still on pins and needles watching 3:30 like a hawk making sure he behaves until Lorelei elven goddess of the woods (well that's what she looked like, I'm thinking Apple is probably lax on their drug testing) showed up to process my order in her black with white polka-dots rain boots.

And then I got it. Happy happy sighs - like goFast says this is a game changing device - I've only had it for a few days but I seriously love it. My buddy did the 4:30AM thing the following day and picked up one that was just a little better than mine (cellular model) but that's the way he rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment