Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday and the Beat Goes On

I'm shooting the breeze with Diablo after coming off 20mins on the StairClimber. I'd figured that I should do something somewhat slightly out of the loop after yesterday's horrors and I wanted to keep my metabolism amp'd up a bit. Surprisingly my thighs weren't nearly as cranky as this time last week.

Diablo is telling me about his class, Body Blast (a similar course to H.E.A.T.) and how he's holding some classes for beginners (check it out and do it, you know you want to!). What he says is, "What I tell the beginners is to listen to their bodies and if your body is telling you at fifteen to stop. Stop. Even if the trainer is saying do twenty five." He goes on to explain that the courses usually have a wide range of folk on the exercise continuum and so the trainer is trying to make sure everyone gets a good workout.

Yesterday I'm having my butt handed to me by the otherPonyTail right? I mean there's no dispute on that. From the trainer point of view (in this case Bubbles) she's got to make sure that the otherPonyTail has a good/great workout while keeping Bill alive, challenged and engaged. There's a wide chasm in ability between the otherPonyTail and myself but like I said yesterday, "I keep trying..." so hats off to Bubbles for that.

One thing I didn't realize is that by taking these 'types' of courses it gives me something to compare to. When I'm just doing my regular routine, alone I can't get a real feel for how I'm doing, particularly as time goes by. In my case I find myself almost going through the motions, except on the bike for some reason, I always push myself fairly hard on that.

I wander off to do some ABS figuring I'm not going to do all of them after yesterdays ABS course. As I'm doing my sit-up/get-ups I notice that I'm doing them faster, that H.E.A.T. has given me an idea of how they're suppose to feel, which is not kinda good, no big deal but more like I feel my heart rate going up and I'm sweating more and this ambiance of I don't wanna do this comes over me. The H.E.A.T. course has taught me that.

If you're going to go through the effort of getting into the gym you might as well go through the effort of doing it right. In my case a lot of that is by 'feel.'

I come off the mini-ABS workout (sit-up/get-ups, Russian twists, bicycle - all on the BOSU) and do ten minutes on the treadmill at a brisk pace (3.5-4mph). I want to do more cardio to drive my weight down, I'm currently fed up with this hanging out around 205 business. But I know I need to strike before my resolve breaks and cardio feels like it's the answer.

I'm also back on the Lose It! bandwagon trying to bring my snacking in line. Dieting is harder than the gym if you ask me but this iPhone app now that it's coupled with a web site might be helping. I almost made it through yesterday without any treats, almost. I had to go to the grocery store/pharmacy/out door lawn furniture/some small appliances place to get a prescription filled. So I purchased some blueberries AND some chocolate covered blueberries.

I ate more blueberries than chocolate covered blueberries and anyway the chocolate covered blueberries were dark chocolate (glares defiantly at reader).

I weighed in at 202, same as yesterday. I'm surprised by that, in a good way.


No comments:

Post a Comment