Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bikes & iPods - a Question


I rode the bike into work today for the second day in a row. This is a record for me given my recent indifference to exercise. I told myPeg that I'm "tour ready" and got some snarky comment about what steroids I'm taking. "Coffee" - yeah I'm a lightweight. Today I experimented with the iPod a bit listening to Gutfeld's RedEye on the way in and "Bill's Greatest Hits" on the way home. Just one earbud, but...

Here's my question is this one ear bud iPod bike riding a gateway drug? Will I move up to both ears? Will I find myself with some Husting invented tube boombox with giant headphones blasting God knows what directly into my cerebellum, deaf and oblivious to the oncoming ambulance? I enjoyed my ride with a musical accompaniment in one ear. Music that I couldn't change because I didn't want to smack into the back of some parked car like D-TOSRV did so I was stuck listening to music I picked but wasn't in the mood for reminding me of my youth, sitting on the schoolbus listening to "Dream Weaver" whispering, "Turn it off, turn it off, TURN IT OFF!" In this particular case it was "Deathly" which I just wasn't in the mood for but couldn't change like I could during a walk. I was STUCK with Aimee's whining - I started to grin.

Here's the thing - I enjoyed it but I don't want to get pancaked by some motorist because I was inattentive. My fellow bikers or anyone reading this with a chip on your shoulder - do you bike with an iPod? If so what do you do, one ear or two?

No comments:

Post a Comment