Monday, May 7, 2012

You have Betty Davis Eyes but I have Lactic Acid Legs.

I took my road bike out yesterday. That was a mistake, well OK that's not true but it was an interesting indicator of where I'm at. First I took the bike from the basement (it's a really nice road bike and I don't rate it but like the toys in Toy Story I'm compelled to use it, to honor it in a sense - weird huh?).

So I replace the dead battery in the bike computer, pump up the tires, forget to oil the chain, suit up and head out. First I had to reacquaint myself with clipping into the thing - I'm giving thought to upgrading my pedals in hopes of making this easier. It's scary - I frequently can't position the pedal so that I can get the cleat in. This is not fun at a stop with traffic, or trying to cross a busy road - anyway if I can figure this out my actual enjoyment of sucking wind, dying on any upgrade, just getting through - biking for me in short - would rise dramatically. I also discover I can't unclip with my right leg (I don't know why) so I have to with my left which is harder for me to get back in the pedal.

So I kind of play chicken with stop signs which isn't exactly calming.

I'm out on Jerome laughing (well groaning is a truer word) at how the rises are kicking my legs ass. I was going to do 20mi but settle for 13mi on the first ride. It was a good workout but today I'm feeling it.

You may have Betty Davis Eyes but I have Lactic Acid Legs.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175498852

No comments:

Post a Comment